Here are the 9 New Ubuntu 15.10 Features You Should Know
The stable edition of Ubuntu 15.10 wily werewolf is just released by canonical few days a ago and it now available to download and install on your computer. Lets take a look at the features that are implemented in the new release of ubuntu 15.10 and see what important packages have been updated.
Watch – A quick video about “What’s new in Ubuntu 15.10“, thanks to linuxscoop for making this video.
Below we are can mention the new features of Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf
Linux kernel 4.2
Ubuntu 15.10 ships with linux kernel 4.2. This introduces lots of changes, like support for the new AMD GPU driver, NCQ TRIM handling, queue spinlocks, F2FS per-file encryption and lots of new and updated drivers.
Unity as the main desktop of ubuntu 15.10 has been updated to version 7.3.2. it comes with bug fixes, polish and small usability improvements. The following we can mention the features of Unity 7.3.2:
- Allows drag and drop apps from the Dash to the desktop to create shortcuts
- Page up/down keyboard navigation works as scroll in the Dash
- Dash title & BFB tooltip is updated based on your privacy settings
- Session exit buttons now have a click effect
- Fix to prevent ‘shutdown’ of computer when screen is locked
- Active app icons now show unfolded when launcher accordion triggered
- Fix for full screen menubar[/column][column size=”one-half” last=”true”]
- Fixes issues with ‘show desktop’ that caused window decoration for two windows of same app to vanish
- Dash: Non-expandable category headers skipped in keyboard navigation
- Dash: Non-expandable category headers are no longer highlighted on mouse over
- Dash: screenreader and KeyNav fixes
- New setting to control the show-now delay (when pressing Alt key)
- Logic tweak to stop adjacent menu opening when moving from an indicator icon to its menu
GNOME 3.16 stack
Another important changes for this release, the most of the packages from the GNOME stack updated to version 3.16.x. This is a good thing since these packages do come with lots of improvements.Unfortunately, the nautilus file manager for Ubuntu 15.10 is still in version 3.14 and Gedit text editor file still dating from 3.10.
Introduce GNOME Overlay Scrollbars
In Ubuntu 15.10, Ubuntu developers have decided to implement the GNOME Overlay scrollbars, it replacement of Unity’s overlay scrollbars for GTK3 applications. That’s no different than before, but it does serve as a stark and regular reminder of how much easier it is to use scrollbars that are always present in a predicable spot and wider than the pinpoint tip of a mouse cursor.
Ubuntu Make, a command-line utility that allows you to download the latest version of popular developer tools easier on Ubuntu, now supports even more platforms, frameworks and services, including a full Android development environment.
Persistent Network Interface Names
Ubuntu developer also introduces stateless persistent network interface names in Ubuntu 15.10. This means that naming the network interfaces like eth0 or eth1 will be a thing of the past and that new more comprehensive names will be used. Also, the names will remain valid even after a restart or if the hardware is removed.
Steam Controller Support
In this release, Ubuntu Developer also add support for the Steam Controller in Ubuntu 15.10. For now, the updated Steam package seems to be available only for Ubuntu 15.10, but it’s possible that the patch will be backported to other supported distributions. This means that Ubuntu 15.10 users will be able to plug the new controller, open Steam, and just play without having to read and apply any kind of advice from tutorials.
New Default Wallpaper
Ubuntu 15.10 bring a new default wallpaper, the wallpaper desaign concept adopted from origami and it called suru. A new set of community sourced wallpapers are also included.
Core Applications Updates
Ubuntu 15.10 updates the core applications. among them:
- Firefox 41
- Chromium 45
- LibreOffice 5.0.2
- Totem (aka ‘Videos’) 3.16
- Nautilus (aka ‘Files’) 3.14.2[/column][column size=”one-half” last=”true”]
- Rhythmbox 3.2.1
- GNOME Terminal 3.16
- Eye of GNOME 3.16
- Empathy 3.12.10
- Shotwell 0.22[/column]
Download Ubuntu 15.10 Final Release
The image of Ubuntu 15.10 ready to download and install. it available in 64-bit and 32-bit, the both can download from the official ISO downloads page by hitting the link below