How to Upgrade XFCE 4.10 to XFCE 4.12 in Xubuntu 14.04 and Xubuntu 14.10
This tutorial will shown you how to upgrade/install XFCE 4.10 to XFCE 4.12 in Xubuntu 14.04 and Xubuntu 14.10.
XFCE 4.12 is the latest release of XFCE desktop environment brings new features, updated components, as well as many other attractive improvements. It is considered an update to the Xfce 4.10 desktop environment. The new Xfce 4.12 default wallpaper also added.
According to XFCE 4.12 release announcement “Today, after 2 years and 10 months of work, we are pleased to announce the release of the Xfce desktop 4.12, a new stable version that supersedes Xfce 4.10. This long period can only be explained by how awesome Xfce 4.10 was. But as all things, it needed some refreshing – and for that we saw lots of new contributors providing valuable feedback, features and bugfixes,”
Here’s the major features of Xfce 4.12 :
- The intelligent panel hiding feature has been implemented.
- Windows preview in alt+tab (Compositor need to be enabled too).
- Better monitor and multi monitor support
- Xfce’s Thunar file manager finally supports tabs.
- Thunar now also has support for multiple file properties, support for binary file size units, inverting the selection, improves volume / remote location handling, and improvements to the shortcuts side pane.
- The xfwm4 window manager has smart placement optimizations for determining the best area to place a new window where it’s least covered on the screen. Xfwm4 also now supports aligning windows next to each other rather than using random gaps.
- The xfce4-panel has improvements to its clock plug-in, including a popup calendar and support for timezones.
- The xfce4-settings area has improved display settings with the ability to clone displays via the GUI and other basic monitor management options. There’s also now mouse settings as part of xfce4-settings.
- There is support for imgur uploads added in xfce4-screenshooter.
- For more detail features of XFCE 4.12 you can refer to http://xfce.org/about/tour
How to Install XFCE 4.12 in Xubuntu 14.04/14.10
To installing/upgrade XFCE 4.12 in xubuntu 14.04/14.10 you need to add the Xubuntu Dev PPA (ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.12) to Ubuntu’s Software Sources. Besides the regular xfce 4.12 packages, you might also want to install the package xfdashboard, Pulseaudio plugin and few more. You can add the secondary PPA called Xubuntu extras (ppa:xubuntu-dev/extras). Lets start it by opening terminal and run the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.12
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xubuntu-dev/extras
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
The following is video demonstrate how to install XFCE 4.12 in Xubuntu 14.04/14.10. The video originally provided by linux scoop, thanks to linuxscoop have made this video.
Here’s a few screenshot xfce 4.12 in Xubuntu 14.10
Uninstall/Remove XFCE 4.12 in Xubuntu 14.04/14.10
To uninstall/remove xfce 4.12 from xubuntu 14.04/14.10. you can use ppa-purge to purge the Xfce 4.12 PPA:
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.12
sudo ppa-purge ppa:xubuntu-dev/extras