Ubuntu MATE 14.04 LTS Released : Supported Until 2019
The final version of Ubuntu MATE 14.04 LTS has been released and announced by Ubuntu MATE team few days ago, this release based-on Ubuntu 14.04 featuring MATE desktop environment 1.8. Unlike Ubuntu MATE 14.10 will supported for nine month, come with LTS version it will be support until 2019.
As we know, Ubuntu MATE is an unofficial (for now) Ubuntu flavor which uses MATE as the default desktop environment. MATE is a GNOME 2 fork introduced after GNOME 3 and GNOME Shell replaced the classic desktop metaphor, which led to some criticism from the Linux community. Currently, MATE only supports GTK2, but the plan is to add GTK3 support with MATE 1.12.
Compared with Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu MATE 14.04 LTS bring a few changes, though most of them had already appeared as updates of Ubuntu MATE 14.10. One of these is that, for example, Ubuntu MATE14.04 supports standard Ubuntu AppIndicators
Ubuntu MATE 14.04 also includes new applications installed by default : MATE Tweak as utility to configure the graphical environment, MATE Menu as application launcher and the inclusion of VLC as default media player instead of Totem.
According to official announcement, Here’s the highlight of Ubuntu MATE 14.o4.1:
- Updated the Ambiant-MATE and Radiant-MATE themes with green icons. Thanks to Michael Tunnell.
- Added community contributed wallpaper from Gerard Aalders.
- Added missing libnss-mdns LP #1380945.
- Added missing faces pixmaps LP #1385822.
- Added missing policykit-desktop-priviledges.
- Added support for Indicators and updated some panel layouts to include indicator enabled variants.
- Added MATE Menu, which is a fork of MintMenu.
- Added MATE Tweak, which is a fork of MintDesktop.
- Enabled the Accessibility PPA to add Orca 3.14 which improves the accessibility of Firefox.
- Enabled screen reader activation via LightDM indicators and LightDM key bindings.
- Fixed accessibility keybindings to toggle the Orca screen reader. Thanks to Sander Sweers.
- Fixed Plymouth not displaying boot up splash screens.
- Fixed GRUB theme activation.
- Fixed Calculator media keys LP #1382781.
- Fixed package conflicts with gnome-applets LP #1378666.
- Fixed mouse scrolling console pager application in mate-terminal LP #1337195.
- Replaced Totem with VLC as per the community VLC poll.
- Synced atril 1.8.1+dfsg1-2 from Debian.
- Synced caja-extensions 1.8.0-2 from Debian.
- Synced engrampa 1.8.1+dfsg1-1 from Debian.
- Synced marco 1.8.2+dfsg1-4 from Debian.
- Synced mate-applets 1.8.1+dfsg1-3 from Debian.
- Synced mate-control-center 1.8.3+dfsg1-1 from Debian.
- Synced mate-desktop 1.8.1+dfsg1-2 from Debian.
- Synced mate-media 1.8.0+dfsg1-3 from Debian.
- Synced mate-netbook 1.8.1-1 from Debian.
- Synced mate-notification-daemon 1.8.1-1 from Debian.
- Synced mate-panel 1.8.1+dfsg1-2 from Debian.
- Synced mate-power-manager 1.8.1+dfsg1-1 from Debian.
- Synced mate-session-manager 1.8.1-5 from Debian.
- Synced mate-settings-daemon 1.8.2-1 from Debian.
- Synced mate-terminal 1.8.1+dfsg1-2 from Debian.
- Synced mate-utils 1.8.1+dfsg1-1 from Debian.
- Synced mozo 1.8.0-2 from Debian.
- Synced python-caja 1.8.1-1 from Debian.
- Synced xzoom 0.3-24 from Debian.
Download Ubuntu MATE 14.04.1 LTS
So if you need a linux distribution with the stability and efficiency of Ubuntu LTS and with a lightweight and simple desktop as MATE, you have to do is download Ubuntu LTS 14.04 MATE directly from the link below. The images are compatible with 32-bit systems to 64-bit, and 64-bit Mac.