SelekTOR : Apps Based on Java for Quickly Select Tor Exit Nodes by Country
SelekTOR is an free and open source GUI frontend for the tor client based on Java. It allows users easy access to the anonymous network also accessing websites restrict in a specific country
Tor is free software for enabling online anonymity and resisting censorship. It is designed to make it possible for users to surf the Internet anonymously, so their activities and location can’t be discovered by government agencies, corporations, or anyone else”. More information @ Tor & Wikipedia.
SelekTOR is just a glorified Tor launcher and exit node chooser for browsers that support system proxying using PAC files. Currently selekTor available in version 3.xx
What is the Feature of SelekTOR 3.xx :
- Include with proxy pattern editor, Import and Export pattern files as a single zip file.
- Runs on most Linux desktops like XFCE, LXDE, Gnome 2, Gnome 3 Shell, KDE4, Unity also works with DockbarX
- Fully compitable with Google Chrome, Chromium, Opera, Palemoon, Mozilla Firefox, without the need for add-ons.
- Supports non-unique (Un-named) nodes giving a greater selection of nodes that previously available with SelekTOR 2
- Nodes are now filtered to ensure that they support HTTP on port 80, and thus ensuring greater reliability when used with web browsers.
- Whois and Atlas Node details (pretty graphs) available with a single mouse click.
- Needs very little configuration, the installation defaults will work for most people out of the box.
Install SelekTOR 3 in Ubuntu 14.04/Linux Mint 17 and Derivatives
Before installing SelekTOR in Ubuntu 14.04/Linux Mint 17 and derivatives you need to install Oracle Java 7 or OpenJRE 1.7 and Tor package, install it with the following commands :
Install Orcale Java 7
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer
sudo apt-get install tor tor tor-geoipdb
For user that using previous ubuntu versions and want install the latest version of Tor package. Install it with the following commands:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/ $(lsb_release -cs) main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tor.list'
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 886DDD89
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install tor tor-geoipdb
Download binary selektor latest version for linux from offical selektor developer site, it also available in source code.
Extract file SelekTOR_Linux.tar.gz by typing the following command:
tar -zxvf SelekTOR_Linux.tar.gz
After execute command above you will getting notification “SelekTOR Successfully Installed”
Disable the Tor service from starting automatically by editing file /etc/default/tor
sudo nano /etc/default/tor
Change line 8 RUN_DAEMON=”yes” to RUN_DAEMON=”no”
Turn off service tor :
sudo service tor stop
Launch Selektor for unity dash by typing “selektor”. On linux mint 17 navigate to menu -> Internet -> SelekTor
Run the the following command to uninstall/remove selekTOR from Ubuntu 14.04/Linux Mint 17
The following is video explain how to install Selektor 3.x in Ubuntu 14.04: