Bumblebee 3.1 tumbleweed has been released and announced by The Bumblebee Project Team.The important news of this update is the integrated support for backend Primus, which can – your choice – go to the backend VirtualGL default for optirun.
For those who does not know, Bumblebee is a unique application that allows you to get in Linux Nvidia Optimus technology, which allows to increase the battery life of your laptop off the dedicated graphics card (Nvidia one) if this was not necessary, allowing so the system to use only the integrated card (the Intel).
Hightlight Of Bumblebee 3.1:
- Support for Primus as an alternative to VirtualGL as optirun backend. This is configurable through a new “Bridge” option in bumblebee.conf that by default is set to “auto” – it selects VirtualGL if installed and if not, it uses Primus. In Bumblebee 4.0, Primus may be used as the default option;
- Optirun has gained an option for on-the-fly back-end choice: –bridge;
- Use of non-blocking sockets, replacing former 3.0.1 hotfix for socket polling;
- Added an udev rule to fix nvidia card randomly turning on;
- Fix for Kepler generation cards was added in xorg.conf.nvidia;
- Fix for dual nvidia hybrid systems;
- Fixed nouveau not working under X.org 1.13+;
- Fixed available drivers detection by supporting module aliases;
- Other fixes.
- More detail about Bumblebee 3.1 release notes, you can see on this page
Installing Bumblebee 3.1 Tumbleweed on Ubuntu Desktop ( Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 12.10, Ubuntu 13.04)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia
NOTE: If you have already added the official PPA Bumblebee on your ubuntu desktop, you must first remove the old with all the configuration files, and if you had installed the old Primus , you have to remove that as well.
To remove the old Primus, use following command:
sudo apt-get purge primus primus-lib:i386 sudo ppa-purge ppa:zhurikhin/primus sudo apt-get autoremove
Uninstall the old Bumblebee then restart your ubuntu PC/Laptop
sudo apt-get purge bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia nvidia-current
After restart, open the terminal and type the following commands:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia nvidia-current
After install latest bumblebee. Log out from your session, then log in back. open terminal and execute following command:
Edit Bumblebee configuration file /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf if you’re not using nvidia-current
Installing Primus for Bumblebee 3.1 Tumbleweed
Primus is now include in the Official Bumblebee Stable PPA. Primus is a shared library that provides OpenGL and GLX APIs and implements low-overhead local-only client-side OpenGL offloading via GLX forking, similar to VirtualGL.
Install latest Primus for bumblebee with following command:
sudo apt-get install primus
If you have a 64-bit system installed, you also need to install “primus-libs-ia32:i386″:
sudo apt-get install primus-libs-ia32:i386
In order to use New Primus directly when you are open application with optirun, you need to edit a configuration file etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf.
sudo nano /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf
You can also directly using Primus from optirun via command line,
optirun -b primus [application you want to launch]
optirun -b primus steam
Now you will see that using a program with optirun it will work much, much better, and do not worry if the command optirun glxspheres the fps are more or less in parallel with your integrated card, Primus recognizes the refresh rate of your screen and adjusts Therefore, I tried Bumblebee with Steam and a game ” Team Fortress 2″, with the old Bumblebee did not want to work while the graphics, compared to the standard Intel integrated, has improved greatly, so much so that the game automatically sets all parameters to the maximum.